nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN email address (was cogent spamming directly from ARIN records?)

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:48:11 -0400

On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 12:54 PM <niels=nanog () bakker net> wrote:

* morrowc.lists () gmail com (Christopher Morrow) [Tue 03 Oct 2023, 18:29 CEST]:
this sort of thing (provider X scrapes Y and mails Z for sales leads)
every ~18 months.
the same outrage and conversation happens every time.
the same protection mechanisms are noted every time.

Is there a reason that: "killfileand move on" is not the answer
everytime for this?
(why do we need to keep rediscussing it)

It's a vicious circle: provider scrapes operational addresses and
spams them, providers stop putting useful addresses in public
databases to avoid spam, everybody who needs to find operational
contacts in a variety of situations loses in the end.

i agree this is a sad outcome of the internet ecosystem.

We keep discussing it because we care about keeping the internet
running. It's similar to why we keep looking for new security holes in
existing software: we don't stop because inevitably we'll find more so
it's a lost cause, we keep looking because inevitably we'll find more
so the product becomes more secure.

those are a bit of a false equivalence... but... ok.
I think: "Oh look, more spam, delete"
is basically how this sort of problem (email from randos trying to
sell me ED pills or 10Gs) should be treated.
I don't know that it's helpful to keep re-litigating that end state :(

I'm sure telling dave shaeffer: "Hey, your sales droids are being
rude" is going to end as well as sending him ED pill emails.