nanog mailing list archives

Re: U.S. test of national alerts on Oct. 4 at 2:20pm EDT (1820 UTC)

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:02:25 -0500

Once upon a time, Grant Taylor <gtaylor () tnetconsulting net> said:
I don't know if today's test is the same thing or not, but I
remember in the last X years where there was a presidential test of
the EAS and there was supposedly no way to disable it short of
turning your device off.

IIRC it is mandated that the vendors don't allow you to turn off the
Presidential Alert class.

However... if you have an Android device supported by LineageOS, you can
turn them all off.  Which I forgot to do, so an old no-SIM phone I use
for some random things went off (curiously, it didn't go off until 8
minutes after my "regular" phone, and then only showed the Spanish
version).

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>