nanog mailing list archives

Re: Generally accepted BGP acceptance criteria?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2023 09:58:15 -0500

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 9:31 PM Tom Samplonius <tom () samplonius org> wrote:

  The most surprising thing in the DE-DIX flow chart, was that they check that the origin AS exists in the IRR
as-set, before doing RPKI, and if the set existence fails, they reject the route.  I don’t see a problem with this,
as maintaining as-sets is easy, but it does prevent an eventual 100% RPKI future with no IRR at all.

I don't think the future is ever really 'no irr'.
  * RPKI provides: "a cryptographically verifiable method to determine
authority to use ip number resources"
  * OriginValidation provides: "A route origin authorization
'database' for use eventually on BGP speakers"

IRR filters provide control over whom is provided reachability through
a particular peering/path.
(dale points this out as well, particularly the part about paths he points out)