nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 21:27:33 +0200

On 5/5/23 13:04, Vasilenko Eduard wrote:

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for many of your valuable comments I almost always agree.

1.I agree that 50GE has not got the same popularity as 100GE. Many vendors did ignore it for some time. Looks like not many ignore it now.

2.Even in your example for 40km, 100GE is about twice more expensive than 50GE.

3.Hence, I have to google for the cheaper proposition in 10km. For obvious reasons, I could not reference my employer (my assumption about the cost is based on this comparison).
https://opticswave.com/collections/50g-qsfp28
https://www.compufox.com/50G_QSFP28_Transceivers_s/3036.htm
https://www.genuinemodules.com/033030600050
Looks like I have found twice cheaper in public information.

4.Pay attention that bidirectional is available too.

In the real world, a 100Gbps network is very, very different from a 50Gbps network.

A 100Gbps optic being twice the cost of a 50Gbps optic at 40km is worth it for most operators, because the value from 100Gbps far outweighs the cost when compared against the "savings" for a 50Gbps network.

Also, most operators will buy a 40km optic yet they need something to cover the 11km - 30km range. With 25km and 30km optics costing as much as a 40km 50Gbps optic, this will satisfy many operators.

5.The public price is not what you get in the real tender. We are talking about big networks, hence, big tenders.

I have zero sympathy for operators who choose to pay equipment vendors for their branded optics :-).

Mark.