nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routed optical networks

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 06:29:27 +0200

On 5/2/23 21:32, Jared Mauch wrote:

I’ve seen proposals for an LSR MPLS/ROADAM type solution, where imagine you are at a hop where in a long distance
system solution, you would end up with OEO, but instead you get directionality capability with an IP/MPLS capable
device.

My memory is rather fuzzy, but didn't Juniper attempt something like this in their PTX's after they picked up BTI? I think the plan was to co-locate the ROADM at the bottom of the PTX chassis, or something along those lines.

I know Cisco (and Juniper) tried by integrating GMPLS into their code as a starting point, but that didn't go very far with customers. It just seemed impossible for the Transport teams to allow the IP/MPLS teams that level of access into their line system :-).

   As mentioned previously, the 400-ZR/ZR+/ZR-Bright/+0 optics are the latest example of that.

A rather high barrier to entry for most operators, but we have to start from somewhere.

I know of a few companies that have looked at solutions like this, and can expect there to be some interesting
solutions that would appear as a result.  Optical line systems tend to have pretty low power requirements compared to a
router, but some of the routers are getting pretty low power as well when it comes to the power OPEX/bit, and if you
have the ability to deliver services as an integrated packet optical you could see reduced costs and simplified
components/sparing.

The main problem is distance.

If you need to move that kind of capacity more than 50km, it's hard to avoid DWDM.

I’ll also say that I’ve not yet seen the price compression that I had expected in the space yet, but I figure that’s
coming.  We are seeing the bits/watt ratio improve though, so for the same or less power consumption you get more bits.
 Some of this technology stuff is truly magical.

I think for long spans, DWDM will not only be cheaper, but the only feasible solution.

For the metro, it will come down to what motivates the business... plenty of features, or plenty of speed.

Also, DWDM vendors are adding speed and distance faster and cheaper than the IP/MPLS vendors can. So they will always be one step ahead in that respect; and we have the submarine cable systems to thank for that.

Mark.