nanog mailing list archives

Re: Northern Virginia has had enough with data centers

From: Hal Murray <halmurray+nanog () sonic net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 15:02:57 -0700

Even traditional data centers have not been known to be especially
considerate about scheduling their -loud- genset tests. Doesn't matter so
much in the middle of an industrial zone but when you do it near where people
live you're going to make them angry.

Why are gensets loud?

Is there a fundamental physics problem or are they all designed for industrial
areas where the noise isn't much of a problem?

If I wanted a less noisy one, could I get it?  How much more would it cost?

Are the zoning people smart enough to include noise limits?  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.