nanog mailing list archives

Re: Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 07:34:14 +0200

On 2/4/23 07:29, William Herrin wrote:

If it's just a little gasoline generator, 30 minutes is about right.
It takes 10 minutes to decide the power isn't coming back soon and
another 10 to drag the generator out of the shed, hook up the wires
and get it going even though it's cold, wet, and hasn't been run for
several months. That leaves 10 minutes to spare figuring out how to
convince the UPS that the generator power is good enough to retransfer
and stay.

Indeed - I was guessing given how reliable PG&E have been for Sabri, a lot is probably pre-wired. I may be wrong.

Mark.