nanog mailing list archives

Re: Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:22:47 -0800

I think an important point for pre-wire and residential real estate
developers to consider is also the conflicting needs of keeping things
"neat and tidy" and last mile CPE location vs wifi coverage.

Your typical new build residential construction will have something like
this in it for telecom purposes:

https://imgur.com/RDMn6px

Or like this:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F65wgbfel14m91.jpg

And then people install their ISP CPE in it and an 802.11ac (or ax) 2x2 or
3x3 router, often this is the same device, and wonder why their performance
is bad because the wifi AP happens to be **inside a box with a metal door
on it**.

Or the ISP tech knows better and tells people that their wifi coverage will
be terrible with the CPE inside of the box, so some sort of hack-job is
necessary to get power and ethernet to the location where the dual-band AP
can be located for optimal whole-home coverage.

Some of these now are all plastic and don't block as much 5 GHz signal, so
it's not quite as bad...