nanog mailing list archives

Re: BKA Wiesbaden - Abteilung Cybercrime (Not sure if this is a phishing E-mail or real...)

From: Jim Shankland <nanog () shankland org>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 10:37:30 -0700

On 4/24/23 9:24 AM, Niels Bakker wrote:
* nanog () ve4 ca (Glen A. Pearce) [Mon 24 Apr 2023, 17:42 CEST]:
Well, I eventually had a friend open the attachment on his Linux machine

Not necessarily a safe idea:
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2023/04/20/linux-malware-strengthens-links-lazarus-3cx-supply-chain-attack/
(scroll down to "Operation DreamJob with a Linux payload", sadly no anchors)

The key security concern here is "don't inspect/interpret bytes in an attachment with an application of the attacker's choosing". cat, or even emacs, seem pretty safe.

For me, that's easiest to do with Linux or MacOS (terminal). But sure, if "open on a Linux machine" still means "point and click", then you're absolutely correct.

Jim Shankland