nanog mailing list archives

Re: Article: DoD, DoJ press FCC for industry-wide BGP security standard

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 10:39:48 -0700

Way overdue! In the last 4 weeks, I've had at least 20 diff
conversations with FSI Network operators re: BGP hijacking, how to
detect and in the future, mitigate with higher levels of success. Come
on BGP RPKI/ROA adaption. I found the easiest way is via ISP pressure
to implement dropping invalid routes.

to remind, ROV is a safety mechanism, not a security mechanism.  it is
proving, as intended, to mitigate mistakes.  which is very cool.  but it
does not mitigate attacks of any sophistication.

randy