nanog mailing list archives

Re: [External] Normal ARIN registration service fees for LRSA entrants after 31 Dec 2023

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:06:21 -0700

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 9:51 AM Steve Noble <snoble () sonn com> wrote:
William Herrin wrote on 9/16/22 9:28 AM:
Actually, the rules HAVE changed. Under the new fee schedule, every
payer except AS-only payers are eligible to vote. ARIN still has a lot
of structural deficiencies but in this particular respect they made a
major improvement.

I appreciate your response, I remember all of the discussions around
this change and the positive/negative aspects of it, but it did not
correct the disenfranchisement of ASN only holders who are customer and
do have to pay for services which are voted on and affected by the voting.

True. But the practical effects of ARIN policy on AS numbers are so
minimal that with a choice between paying the AS annual fee and the
minimum service member annual fee, it makes sense to pay the smaller
fee. The AS number annual fee is a tad heftier than it ought to be for
the work reasonably expected of ARIN to operate the relevant registry
components. I expect they're lumping more into general overhead than
they really ought to and then spreading the overhead among all payers.
But c'est la vie. A lean, mean machine ARIN is not, at least not any
more.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--