nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alternative Re: ipv4/25s and above Re: 202211210951.AYC

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:33:56 -0500

Eric Kuhnke wrote:
In a theoretical scenario where somebody was global benevolent dictator of ipv4 space, even applying a policy which limited block size to a few /14 per ISP, it would be possible to exhaust 240/4/in one week/ if they handed out /14 sized pieces to every existing last mile LTE network operator with 5+ million customers globally. It is not a long term solution or even a good medium term solution.

To to the LM LTE Operator with 5+ mill. customer globally, it is not. Agreed. Also, I think they have already sorted themselves out sufficiently in a variety of ways. I am not concerned with them, at all.

Which is why I did not offer that as an example of useful constraint. Re-run your projections with what I actually discussed, I think you will have a different conclusion.

Joe