nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Only

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo () tzi org>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 22:09:32 +0200

On 2022-03-31, at 20:54, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

And yet, in order to "turn off the lights on IPv4", we're going to have to
root through all those dark corners of code

The part that you might be missing is that those dark corners are also where the vulnerabilities hide.

If a piece of software can’t do v6, it probably hasn’t been maintained for a long time.

With software bills of materials coming up, we may have a bit more leverage on these graveyard decks than we have had
until now.

Your main argument unfortunately does hold water; the timeline you propose, maybe not so much.

Grüße, Carsten