nanog mailing list archives

Re: V6 still not supported

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 17:08:30 -0700

On Mar 24, 2022, at 21:18 , James R Cutler <james.cutler () consultant com> wrote:

On Mar 24, 2022, at 9:25 PM, Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org <mailto:nanog () nanog org>> wrote:

I think that we’re still OK on allocation policies. What I’d like to see is an end to the IPv4-think in large ISPs,
such as Comcast’s continued micro allocations to their customers.

What exactly is your definition of “micro allocations”? Is a prefix/56 a “micro allocation”? In over nine years of
being an active forum participant and customer of Comcast, I can not recall the usage of the term.

They’re issuing /60s (maximum) to residential customers.

And yes, a /56 is a micro allocation. /48 is the intended norm for IPv6 site assignments and is a perfectly reasonable
prefix size for v6 delegation to a site.

Owen