nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

From: Josh Luthman <josh () imaginenetworksllc com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 11:59:05 -0400

Look up the Broadband Data Act and the FCC BDC.  This will identify what
individuals have service in ~6 months.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 11:41 AM Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> wrote:

I wish (...) that public right of way agreements included a requirement
that service providers must publish accurate service area maps, and must
provide service (or pay a substantial penalty for each inaccurate service
claim).

In the old days (...) the "certificate of publice convenience and
necessity" came with a duty to offer service to all in the area.  That was
part of the consideration to use the public right of ways.

Now, even when you order service and obtain a confirmation, its not really
a confirmation.  Or ridiculous 'install fees', which are really go away
fees.

Look at the difficulty the FCC and state PUCs have getting accurate
service maps from carriers and service providers.  Its like those wireless
maps, the carriers make jokes about in TV commercials. Their own ad
agencies know their own maps are bogus.