nanog mailing list archives

Re: Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities Re: 202207240927.AYC

From: "Abraham Y. Chen" <aychen () avinta com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 10:20:13 -0400

Hi, John:

1) "...  dynamically assigned IP address space can still be tracked back to a given system ... ": I fully agree with this statement. However,    A. You overlooked the critical consideration of the response time. If this can not be done in real time for law enforcement purposes, it is meaningless.

   B. Also, the goal is to spot the specific perpetrator, not the "system" which is too general to be meaningful. In fact, this would penalize the innocent users who happen to be on the same implied "system".

   C. In addition, for your “whack-a-mole” metaphor, the party in charge is the mole, not the party with the mallet. It is a losing game for the mallet right from the beginning.

   So, the current Internet practices put us way behind the starting line even before the game. Overall, this environment is favored by multi-national businesses with perpetrators riding along in the background. When security is breached, there are more than enough excuses to point the finger to. No wonder the outcome has always been disappointing for the general public.

2) What we need to do is to reverse the roles in every one of the above situations, if we hope for any meaningful result, at all. The starting point is to review the root differences between the Internet and the traditional communication systems. With near half a century of the Internet experience, we should be ready to study each issue from its source, not by perpetuating its misleading manifestations.

Regards,

Abe (2022-07-24 10:19 EDT)