nanog mailing list archives

Re: What do you think about the "cloudification" of mobile?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 03:13:41 +0200

On 1/25/22 21:56, Michael Thomas wrote:

What I was thinking of is more of "over the top" where I don't need to be an Xfinity customer (lot least of which is that I can't).

I've seen MNO's partner with other providers to run a VLAN for their service on their wi-fi network. For various reasons, one of which involves ease of use by an MNO customer, it hasn't really taken off.

Reminds me of the days when you needed to insert a login and APN to access the GPRS network between 2007 - 2009. Adoption of mobile data became so much simpler when the phones and SIM cards came pre-configured to "just connect" to the data network.

It's nice to see your mobile provider's SSID on some random wi-fi hotspot. But if using it is such a drama, folk will be happy to struggle with 3G or even EDGE.

Mark.