nanog mailing list archives

Re: SOHO IPv6 switches

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 21:23:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022, Brandon Martin wrote:
The Netgear GS108T is my typical go-to "not a dumb switch". 8 ports for about $80.

Make sure you get the v3 if you want most of the modern IPv6 L2 features (you also get some very limited L3 capabilities). The v2 lacks most of them and is still readily available on the market.

Thank you for the SOHO switch recommendation. Ordered the netgear GS108Tv3, next-day delivery, and installed it this evening. The IGMP/MLD snooping did its job keeping the excess multicast traffic off the ports with legacy IP gear. The netgear also supports ether.type filters, but I didn't need to use those filters. Filtering the multicast was enough, to keep the port congestion below the legacy 10Mbps (which seemed to be closer to 1 Mbps) breaking point.

My newest IPv4 and IPv6 gear is happy.  My ancient stuff is happy.

And most importantly, I didn't need to spend enterprise-grade bucks or play ebay gear roulette.