nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google Speed Test

From: Josh Luthman <josh () imaginenetworksllc com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:58:54 -0500

Those are all M-Lab tests - Stadia and google search results.  They're not
always certainly through Google's network (I would have to imagine they're
typically not).

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 1:17 PM Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:

Once upon a time, Robert Webb <rwfireguru () gmail com> said:
None of them are accurate. The one from a Google search gave me around
280Mbps, the stadia gave me 39Mbps, and Ookla gave me close to 500Mbps..

Browser-based speed testing is a crapshoot for anything above about
100M... Ookla has a native client for just about every client OS that
tends to be much more accurate.

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>