nanog mailing list archives

Re: Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported re: 202203261833.AYC

From: Dave Bell <me () geordish org>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:21:11 +0100

This seems pretty unworkable.

We would now all need to maintain large CG-NAT boxes in the network to
decasulate the traffic from a source to the subscriber. It does seem like
it would be fairly stateless, it is not improving things.

Assuming the end host is sending traffic with the magic header already
affixed, we now need to update literally every IP stack in existence if it
wants to take part.

I need to update all my customer facing routers to have some fancy feature
to look deep into the packet to check they are not circumventing BCP38.

This all seems like a lot of work just to not deploy IPv6.

Regards,
Dave

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 at 15:37, Nicholas Warren <nwarren () barryelectric com>