nanog mailing list archives

Re: Powerline Broadband Usecases

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 14:24:17 -0700

On 9/27/21 1:35 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

It may be still interesting in some remote areas if you can bring fiber to the nearest medium to low voltage transformer.

The company that designed the chip set (DS2, a Spanish company), was acquired by Marvell (https://www.marvell.com/company/newsroom/marvell-acquires-ds2-technology.html <https://www.marvell.com/company/newsroom/marvell-acquires-ds2-technology.html>). I’m sure that they have many products (semiconductors) as a result of what we did in the project, but I don’t know the status, which are used in in-home PLC for sure. However, I’m not sure if there are many device providers using them for PLC services, CPEs, etc.

Very topically for California is whether there would be enough bandwidth to provide remote sensors on power poles, like heat, IR shots, circuit open, etc. A couple thousand every pole or two would probably be way cheaper than undergrounding which has its own set of issue.

Mike