nanog mailing list archives

Re: Squat space is now being advertised by AS 749 (DoD Network Information Center)

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:38:50 -0400

On 9/11/21 8:36 AM, David Bass wrote:
When can we reclaim all this unused space from the US DoD?  Serious question.

I’ve never understood how they can just sit on this without having to do something with it.

Remember, just because a prefix isn't in your routing table doesn't mean the address space isn't in use.

The DoD uses a fair bit of the address space allocated to them on networks that are not visible from the public Internet. Whether they use it efficiently is, perhaps, another matter.

--
Brandon Martin