nanog mailing list archives

Re: ntp with dhcp

From: Hal Murray <halmurray+nanog () sonic net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 23:25:09 -0700

I'm looking for statistics on setting NTP servers on clients using DHCP, in
the wild. Does anyone know if there is any available somewhere?

That brings up an interesting can of worms.

If you run a NAT box with lots of clients, please don't point your NTP clients
at the pool.  I can't tell your/their traffic from DDoS traffic.

Please setup your own NTP server(s) and point your customers at them.  (If you
need help with that, poke me off-list.)

I have a couple of servers in the pool.  The pool distributes the load by
rotating DNS entries with a 150 second TTL.  I see bursts of  100 to 1000
requests per second for roughly 150 seconds.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.