nanog mailing list archives

Re: S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:03:55 -0700

On Oct 10, 2021, at 13:18 , Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 10/10/21 22:10, Geoff Huston wrote:

I have to agree with Doug Barton's earlier observation is that the base problem is that the ISPs are using a flawed
business model and they don't want to charge their customers what it really costs to provide them with high speed
access, nor do they want to fund additional back-end capacity in their network without some form of offset revenue
stream.

I think ISP's do want to charge their customers what it actually costs to provide them with a service, but they can't
because many ISP's business models are based purely on undercutting their nearest competitor.

Then that’s a flawed business model and one of them will eventually get lucky in each market place and race prices once
they are a monopoly.

I might be naive and hopeful to think that operators will have a blood handshake to set prices where customers can't
wag the tail.

Such collusion is usually the basis of antitrust laws and ill-advised at best.

Owen