nanog mailing list archives

Re: S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:57:07 +0200

On 10/10/21 21:33, Matthew Petach wrote:

If you sell a service for less than it costs to provide, simply
based on the hopes that people won't actually *use* it, that's
called "gambling", and I have very little sympathy for businesses
that gamble and lose.

You arrived at the crux of the issue, quickly, which was the basis of my initial response last week - infrastructure is dying. And we simply aren't motivated enough to figure it out.

When you spend 25+ years sitting in a chair waiting for the phone to ring or the door to open, for someone to ask, "How much for 5Mbps?", your misfortune will never be your own fault.

Mark.