nanog mailing list archives

What Eyeballs Did During The Facebook Nap

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 16:18:49 +0200

So we are reviewing our flow data, and it's very clear, on our network, that during the period Facebook were experiencing their global outage, Netflix traffic went up 3X for us.

The psychological assessment of this, for me, is most interesting; especially because like carbohydrates, social media addiction does not create "medically immediate" mental harm, unlike other addictions such as cocaine, heroine, crystal meth, LSD, alcohol, e.t.c., which governments and the medical fraternity are quick to label as "dangerous to human health due to their addictive properties".

Could Netflix, perhaps, play a part in mitigating the increasing impact of social media addiction in teenagers, whose young brains aren't developed enough to have sufficient executive control, impulse control and good judgement?

In the words of Spock, "Fascinating!"

Mark.