nanog mailing list archives

Re: fun with TLDs and captive portals was, Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 23 Nov 2021 21:28:51 -0500

It appears that Francis Booth via NANOG <boothf () boothlabs me> said:
So we know RFC 2606 defined reserved TLDs like .lan and .home so there

Um, this must be a different RFC 2606 than the one the rest of us have read.
It mentions neither .lan nor .home.

In order to solve the chicken/egg problem of having to know your IPv6
prefix and the address assigned to your router dynamically for
nontechnical users to reach their router configuration pages, ...

SLAAC lets hosts find their prefix and router and optionally other
stuff like the DNS servers.  See RFC4862.  This is a thoroughly solved problem.
If your router is a captive portal like at a coffee shop and client devices
need to open a web page to log in, see RFC 8910.

R's,
John