nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redeploying most of 127/8, 0/8, 240/4 and *.0 as unicast

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 12:38:28 -0800

On 11/20/21 9:29 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:
On 11/19/21 10:27, William Herrin wrote:
Howdy,

That depends on your timeline. Do you know many non-technical people
still using their Pentium III computers with circa 2001 software
versions? Connected to the Internet?

There are lots of very old networked industrial machines with embedded computers operated by non-network-savvy people that are still very much in use.

Think CNC machines in machine shops, SCADA systems, etc. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find quite a few 2001-era boxes still in service.

At some level I think there's a good chance that they'd just work. I wrote a significant amount of the Lantronix terminal server code and it never occurred to me that I should enforce rules about 127.0.0.0 or Class D or Class E. It really didn't have much bearing on a terminal server or the other host-like things we built. If you typed it in, it would work, if you  listened on a port it wouldn't care what the address was. I would imagine that lots of stacks from back in the day were just like that.

Mike