nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 01:30:50 +0100

Subject: Re: Redploying most of 127/8 as unicast public Date: Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 09:04:59PM +0900 Quoting Masataka
Ohta (mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp):
Mans Nilsson wrote:

The essence of an IP address is that it is unique. The larger the network
area is that recognizes it as unique, the better it is.

With proper layering, network addresses including IP ones, certainly,
uniquely identify *hosts*.

However, with proper layering, *applications* only require uniqueness
of IP+Port, which is enough for the worldwide IPv4 network.

As a result, NAT won the battle against IPv6.

IPv6 addresses are free but useless.

With all due respect, you think about networks. I use and build
networks. And my experience is that IP+port is not enough. We cope,
because a lot of technical debt is amassed in corporate and ISP /
access provider networks that won't change. We don't cope because NAT is
good. Hardly a workday goes past without me thinking "If I could address
this computer uniquely I'd go home earlier and with less grey hair".

We must do better.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE           SA0XLR            +46 705 989668