nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Josh Luthman <josh () imaginenetworksllc com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 09:28:58 -0400

There are millions of people that have 0 mbps (or dialup, satellite, etc)
and they can't function day to day like everyone else in town.

Changing the definition of broadband to yet again, to a faster speed will
do nothing for these people except slow the pace at which they get
connectivity.  Why do people "in town" need to go from 25/3 to 100/10 when
we really should be focusing on the people with nothing?

Changing the definition to 100/100 kills every technology except for
fiber.  Every single cable internet connection suddenly becomes "not
internet".  Do we really want another AT&T that ends up with all of the
primary last mile technology to all the major cities again?

Josh Luthman
24/7 Help Desk: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 9:07 AM Chris Adams (IT) <Chris.Adams () ung edu>