nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: Re: Younger generations preferring social media(esque) interactions.

From: Tomasz Rola <rtomek () ceti pl>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 02:37:45 +0100

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 10:32:20AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:

On 3/23/21 02:22, Tomasz Rola wrote:

I am not going to lament much, either. It is just how it goes. On the
brighter side, there will also be a minority, who will come to email
exactly because they will be aspiring power users. I think there will
always be some aspiring power users, so it is not going to be only bad.

There will be, but they will keep dwindling.

Things may be coming to this but they do not have to. I understand
that being a power user involves talking to computer with some kind of
a language, as opposed to pointing with finger. One example is unix
commands, where "ls /usr/bin/ /sbin /usr/sbin/ | wc -l" gives me well
over four thousand "words". So the question is, if in a future there
will be systems which allow "talking to computer with words", allowing
to make complex descriptions of "what to do".

Talking to "siri" is not what I am thinking about, because just like
"desktop metaphore", the "assistant metaphore" is trying to hide too
much of underlying complexity to allow "power usage".

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

--
** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola () bigfoot com             **