nanog mailing list archives

Re: New minimum speed for US broadband connections

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:39:51 +0200

On 6/1/21 19:40, Lady Benjamin Cannon of Glencoe wrote:

I’ve had people cry about how fast the internet is at my office…

I guess your mileage may vary, but yes humans do notice those kinds of delays and they are cumulative.  (It’s not just bandwidth, it’s latency.  The 3ms ping in my signature is real too.)

Bandwidth can be the responsibility of one company - your ISP.

Latency involves co-operation with other operators, i.e., data centres and content folk.

All the 100Gbps to your home or office is for naught if the content is 300ms away.

Mark.