nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and multicast listener discovery

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 08:48:11 -0700

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 9:34 AM Dale W. Carder <dwcarder () es net> wrote:
Are your links or hosts limited in some way or broadcast domains
of some unreasonable size?  Most of the competent switching or
managed wireless products will snoop or otherwise handle this
overhead in a sane manner.  Otherwise this at best would seem to
be an over-optimization.

From my days on a giant campus network the current pps rate of MLD
chatter was much lower than the IPX/SAP broadcasts we had from
20-25 yrs earlier.

Hi Dale,

Actually, I'm doing station to station encryption with macsec using
multiple SCIs at each station so there's a magnification effect of
encrypted multicast packets that the switch can't snoop even if it
wanted to -- all the intermediate equipment sees is an opaque ethernet
frame with the broadcast flag set.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--