nanog mailing list archives

Re: A survey on BGP MRAI timer values in practice

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 09:06:18 +0300

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 at 19:32, <shahrooz () cs umass edu> wrote:

We often read that the Internet (i.e. BGP) has a long convergence delay.
But why is it so slow? And can we (researchers) do anything about it?

Create business incentives to improve it. This is a non-technical
problem, we've long had technical tools to make it fast, there just
isn't incentive to make it fast. Customers are not asking operators
for better convergence speeds.

Please help us out to find out by answering our short anonymous survey
(<10 minutes).

Can you tell me what have you done so far? What are the default MRAI
values for each AFI/SAFI for IOS, IOS-XR, Junos, SROS, VRP and EOS?
Then people responding don't have to check what their NOS does, they
can refer to your table and tell the default value, since this is what
99% will be using.

Now your survey has built-in selection bias, people who answer it are
people who know what it is and who are concerned about it and have
changed it, this is not a representative group and you will start your
work with very bad data.

--
  ++ytti