nanog mailing list archives

Re: NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 16:44:22 -0800

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 4:31 PM Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:

Once upon a time, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> said:
[...]

I don't know if an unsubscribed cell phone gets the emergency alerts (I
know you are supposed to be able to call 911 from any cell phone, even
if not carrying paid service).  If so, that'd be another cheap way to
get alerts.

Now *that* sounds like a good, feasible middle ground;
simply ensure cellular devices don't need an active plan
to get alerts sent, and we can give out older, donated
phones to people who don't have their own to act as
receivers for alerts.

Much easier than trying to stuff receivers into smoke detectors!  :)

Thanks!

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>

Matt