nanog mailing list archives

Re: Famous operational issues

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:46:38 -0800

maybe late '60s or so, we had a few 2314 dasd monsters[0].  think maybe
4m x 2m with 9 drives with removable disk packs.

a grave shift operator gets errors on a drive and wonders if maybe they
swap it into another spindle.  no luck, so swapped those two drives with
two others.  one more iteration, and they had wiped out the entire
array.  at that point they called me; so i missed the really creative
part.

[0] https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/storage/storage_2314.html

randy

---
randy () psg com
`gpg --locate-external-keys --auto-key-locate wkd randy () psg com`
signatures are back, thanks to dmarc header mangling