nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Tactical" /24 announcements

From: Adam Thompson <athompson () merlin mb ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 16:13:10 +0000

Yes, it is bad practice.  Yes, it's polluting the route table.
If the # of /24s involved is not ridiculously large (say, <64?) them I would go ahead, as long as IRR and/or RPKI are
also updated.
Obviously if everyone did it (i.e. advertising /24s exclusively) then our FIBs would collectively balloon to a
grotesquely un-manageable size, at least on platforms that can't auto-aggregate that back down.  Thankfully, everyone
isn't doing it.
I, too, would vastly prefer no-one did this, but I have two customers that demand it from time to time... and we've
even done it for our own allocation sometimes, and there's no robust, never mind bullet-proof, technical argument why I
can't do that for them (or for ourselves).  OTOH robust arguments exist for why it's a good thing to do - sometimes,
and temporarily.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[1593169877849]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson () merlin mb ca<mailto:athompson () merlin mb ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>