nanog mailing list archives

Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 11:40:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:

      On Aug 30, 2021, at 18:00 , Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com> wrote:

      AFRINIC approves IPv4 for the purpose of leasing every day. It’s what ISPs do. It’s the definition of an LIR.

      Yes, most LIRs are also in the connectivity business and provide addresses (mostly/exclusively) to customers of
their connectivity services.

Which is why CI informed AfriNIC in their request that they were going
to have no network and provide connectivity-less services to CI
customers, right ?

      However, there’s no such policy requirement in the AFRINIC governing documents.

Sorry...I haven't been keeping up with all the messages in this thread, but assuming it's not already been brought up, what about this, which has been in the AfriNIC CPM since v0.1 (i.e. the beginning):

"5.4.6.2 AFRINIC resources are for AFRINIC service region and any use outside the region should be solely in support of connectivity back to the AFRINIC region."

I ran into issues years ago, trying to do an additional allocation request with ARIN, only to be told that usage of ARIN-allocated resources out-of-region did not count toward utilization due to some very vague language in the NRPM section 2.2 leading to the "invention" of unwritten policy. The issue with out of region use of ARIN-allocated resources was eventually resolved with a NRPM section being added explicitly allowing it.

AfriNIC's policy is not at all vague on the matter that their resources are to be used in or to support connectivity in the AFRINIC region.

From what I've read, Cloud Innovation primarily uses their AfriNIC IP
resources out of region. How they managed to get a couple of /11s and /12s from AfriNIC seems to be a massive failure on the part of AfriNIC's staff, or did their business model radically change after so much space had been allocated?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are