nanog mailing list archives

Re: Something that should put a smile on everybody's face today

From: Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 17:35:12 -0400

On 4/28/21 1:50 AM, Mel Beckman wrote:
NANOG is not the right place to post this. This list is not an “interesting
news group”, and as fascinating as the patent troll take down is, it has
nothing to do with operational issues. Read the AUP, if your don’t believe
me. Item 8:

Posts of a political, philosophical, or legal nature are prohibited.

Mel,

Looking at the usage guidelines
https://www.nanog.org/resources/usage-guidelines/, did you notice the section
"How to report a violation of these guidelines"?  #1 states "Subscribers who
are subject to or wish to report a violation of these guidelines should
contact us at admins [at] nanog.org."  Did you make such a complaint?

I didn't notice anything stating reporting it on-list is an option.  In fact
rule #15 seems to prohibit filing complaints on list.  I'm certainly not going
to make a formal complaint over what I'm sure is an out-of-character email.

FWIW, I found this of great interest.  The existence of overly broad patents
such as this harms the entire operator community and internet in general.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice
http://bryanfields.net