nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux router network cards

From: Raymond Burkholder <ray () oneunified net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 23:41:14 -0600

On 2020-10-20 22:37, Philip Loenneker wrote:
Take a look at the Mellanox ConnectX 5 series of cards. They handle DPDK, PVRDMA (basically SR-IOV that allows live
migration between hosts), and can even process packets within the NIC for some models. They did a fantastic
presentation at AusNOG 2019 which showed off a lot of the features. We tried some out with Vmware and could get 20Gbps
throughput (limited by the 2x 10G NICs we had configured) to a VM running Linux with DPDK+VPP.

Plus Mellanox introduced the SwitchDev capability which provides for offloading flow management to the hardware.