nanog mailing list archives

Re: Residential GPON last mile for network engineers (Telus AS852 and others)

From: Daniel Dent <nanog-list () contactdaniel net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:34:16 -0700

On 2020-10-13 6:38 p.m., Eric Kuhnke wrote:

Any insights as to what the configuration of the Telus AS852 GPON network looks would be helpful. Or other observations in general on technically-oriented persons who are doing similar with other ILECs.

I have heard rumors that Telus's GPON deployment is a little bit different depending on when the location was connected to GPON, although I think they've been working towards having a single unified provisioning system. I'm unclear if there are user-impacting differences, I haven't noticed any.

I deal with several sites that are connected to Telus's consumer GPON network. Here are three samples:

1. Telus GPON is terminated to a Telus-provided media converter that provides a copper gigabit ethernet switch. The Telus-supported deployment involves some magic wifi gateway that speaks both DSL and Ethernet for WAN connectivity. Removing the magic box and using standard DHCP from my own networking equipment works fine. This site was amongst Telus's very first GPON deployments.

2. Telus GPON is terminated to a magic GPON SFP. The Telus-supported deployment involves an SFP being provided to CPE they deploy which has an SFP port (in addition to the DSL & Ethernet WAN uplink ports which are also present on that CPE). That SFP instead goes into my own equipment, and standard DHCP works fine. I specifically requested an SFP-based deployment when I ordered the service, and again from the technician that did the install. While the tech was confused why I would care, he was happy to oblige.

3. For a site that was deployed after I was familiar with how it went, I had my equipment at that site pre-configured to do DHCP on my SFP port prior to the technician arriving. The technician was quite happy to dash off to his next appointment when after plugging in the SFP I was able to confirm that everything was working. At that site I don't have any Telus-owned CPE other than their SFP, the technician had reason to provide any.

I have heard rumours that if you want their "Optik TV" service that it simply requires standard-but-undocumented VLAN tagging, but I've never had reason to care to find out.

Telus happily provides >1 IPv4 over DHCP to multiple devices on the interface, and their equipment also happily allocates a /56 in IPv6 land. While there's lot to be unhappy about with Telus, they do a very good job with some of the important basics.

Regards,

Daniel Dent

https://www.danieldent.com/