nanog mailing list archives

Re: plea for comcast/sprint handoff debug help

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 23:22:36 -0500

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 3:09 PM Randy Bush <randy () psg com> wrote:

really?  could you be exact, please?  turning an optional protocol off
is not a 'failure mode'.
I suppose it depends on how you think you are serving the data.
If you thought you were serving it on both protocols, but 'suddenly'
the RRDP location was empty that would be a failure.

not necessarily.  it could merely be a decision to stop serving rrdp.
perhaps a security choice; perhaps a software change; perhaps a phase
of the moon.

right this is all in the same set of: "failure modes not caught"
(I think, I don't care so much WHY you stopped serving RRDP, just that
after a few failures
the caller should try my other number (rsync))

as i do not see rrdp as a critical service, after all it is not mti,
but i am quite aware of whether it is running or not.  the problem is
that routinator seems not to be.

sure... it's just made one set of decisions. I was hoping with some
discussion we'd get to:
Welp, sure we can fallback and try rsync if we don't see success in <some> time.