nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to manage Static IPs to customers

From: Yang Yu <yang.yu.list () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 10:44:40 -0700

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 8:56 AM Michael Crapse <michael () wi-fiber io> wrote:

On our network(which isn't docsis, granted) we use PPPoE for all static IP addresses, because it allows /32 ip
address allocations for all home CPE routers, upstream, the routers handle routing via ospf to change the path of
where that /32 public IP goes. It allows "zero touch" moving of a customer from one PoP to another.

Portable long prefix makes geoip more challenging (e.g. /29s in a
single /24 used in different markets)
I am curious for static IP services, how often does the address come
from a local (PoP/metro) pool, and what the policy is for keeping the
same IP when service address moves.