nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T is suspending broadband data caps for home internet customers due to coronavirus

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 18:55:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Tom Paseka wrote:
I am not worried. Residential ISPs are usually at peak in the late evening.
They have loads of capacity during the day.

Do they have capacity to the right places?

The evening traffic peak is usually streaming entertainment bits from CDNs on the edge of the network.

Work From Home seems to be VPNs going between residential to business ISPs interconnections and lots of videoconferencing services (zoom, webex, etc).

I'm not an insider anymore, so I don't see what ISP capacity planners see on their dashboards.