nanog mailing list archives

Re: free collaborative tools for low BW and losy connections

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 19:01:04 -0600

On 3/25/20 11:27 AM, Nick Hilliard wrote:
nntp is a non-scalable protocol which broke under its own weight.

That statement surprises me.  But I'm WAY late to the NNTP / Usenet game.

Threaded news-readers are a great way of catching up with large mailing lists if you're prepared to put in the effort to create a bidirectional gateway.  But that's really a statement that mail readers are usually terrible at handling large threads rather than a statement about nntp as a useful media delivery protocol.

Especially when most of the news readers that I use or hear others talk about using are primarily email clients that also happen to be news clients. As such, it's the same threading code.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die