nanog mailing list archives

Re: Quagga for production?

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 20:22:31 +0000

Mark Tinka wrote on 18/03/2020 17:02:
I prefer to have a number of core systems accessible in the IGP, because
BGP can sometimes get hosed for one reason or another.

BGP always needs IGP to work. The reverse is not true, and reduces us to
absolute basics when it hits the fan (which it has, a few times before).

Yeah. I was thinking more for the case of customer-facing anycast resolvers, in which case BGP down means that the network is down, and if the network is down it doesn't matter than DNS is also down because their shared fate means that when BGP is back up, DNS will start working again.

Nick