nanog mailing list archives

Re: [c-nsp] Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?

From: Tim Durack <tdurack () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 10:09:47 -0400

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 9:05 AM Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

On 19/Jun/20 14:50, Tim Durack wrote:

If y'all can deal with the BU, the Cat9k family is looking
half-decent: MPLS PE/P, BGP L3VPN, BGP EVPN (VXLAN dataplane not MPLS)
etc.
UADP programmable pipeline ASIC, FIB ~200k, E-LLW, mandatory DNA
license now covers software support...

Of course you do have to deal with a BU that lives in a parallel
universe (SDA, LISP, NEAT etc) - but the hardware is the right
price-perf, and IOS-XE is tolerable.

No large FIB today, but Cisco appears to be headed towards "Silicon
One" for all of their platforms: RTC ASIC strapped over some HBM. The
strategy is interesting: sell it as a chip, sell it whitebox, sell it
fully packaged.

YMMV

I'd like to hear what Gert thinks, though. I'm sure he has a special
place for the word "Catalyst" :-).

Oddly, if Silicon One is Cisco's future, that means IOS XE may be headed
for the guillotine, in which case investing any further into an IOS XE
platform could be dicey at best, egg-face at worst.

I could be wrong...

Mark.

It could be worse: Nexus ;-(

There is another version of the future:

1. SP "Silicon One" IOS-XR
2. Enterprise "Silicon One" IOS-XE

Same hardware, different software, features, licensing model etc.

Silicon One looks like an interesting strategy: single ASIC for fixed,
modular, fabric. Replace multiple internal and external ASIC family,
compete with merchant, whitebox, MSDC etc.

The Cisco 8000/8200 is not branded as NCS, which is BCM. I asked the
NCS5/55k guys why they didn't use UADP. No good answer, although I suspect
some big customer(s) were demanding BCM for their own programming needs.
Maybe there were some memory bandwidth issues with UADP, which is what Q100
HBM is the answer for.

--
Tim:>