nanog mailing list archives

Re: Partial vs Full tables

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 20:27:15 +0300

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 20:20, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

It's a little more nuanced than that. You probably don't want to
accept a default from your transit but you may want to pin defaults
(or a set of broad routes as I did) to "representative" routes you do
accept from your transit. By "pin" I mean tell BGP that 0.0.0.0/0 is
reachable by some address inside a representative route you've picked
that is NOT the next hop. That way the default goes away if your
transit loses the representative route and the default pinned to one
of your other transits takes over.

That is a great idea. Get all the utility of default with fewer risks.

--
  ++ytti