nanog mailing list archives

Re: questions asked during network engineer interview

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 13:55:28 +0200

On 14/Jul/20 22:14, Matthew Petach wrote:

I *love* questions like that, because I can immediately respond back
with "well, that depends; did your sysadmin configure rfc1323
extension support in your TCP stack?  Is SACK enabled?  What about
window scaling?  Does your OS do dynamic buffer tuning for TCP, or are
the values locked in at start time?"

Depending on how the interviewer responds gives me a pretty good idea
how much clue the people I'd be working with have, and how well they
work collaboratively even with people they don't really know.  If they
respond well on their feet, and give me better inputs, I respond with
a better answer.

If they say "It doesn't matter", then I respond by saying "See, that's
why things aren't working so well for you here; you don't really
understand how far down the rabbit hole goes", and respectfully ask to
end the interview before we waste any more of each other's time.

I *love* teaching--but only with people who are open to learning.

+1.

Mark.