nanog mailing list archives

Re: Data on latency and loss-rates during congestion DDoS attacks

From: Amir Herzberg <amir.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 07:17:28 -0500

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 2:12 AM Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 at 05:30, Amir Herzberg <amir.lists () gmail com> wrote:

DDoS is very very cheap, if there is a single global egress for given
interface then the DDoS traffic can easily be 100 times the egress
capacity (1GE egress, 100GE DDoS).

Thanks. However, my question is about statistics of attacks actually seen
`in the wild' - and not just the `worst' but also more common attacks.
Furthermore, I'm asking about the _outcome_ of the congestion - mainly,
loss-rates and latency - and not about the _amount_ of DDoS traffic. DDoS
traffic often gets lost itself in different intermediate routers, so its
ultimate impact is not trivial to estimate.

I'm very skeptical if FEC will
help, I think this is case of cat and mouse

hmm, I don't think so; it is more a matter of justification, and also,
obviously, amount of over-capacity - which is still, obviously, a basic
thing anybody concerned about congestion would worry about. Let me be
extreme and simplify... Suppose idd attacker can send 100 times the
capacity of a (say, single) router, resulting in 99% loss rate. Then FEC
should work - but, of course, with high overhead, let's even simplify and
say it requires 100 times redundancy (although it's actually not as bad as
that). Still, this can be Ok if I have 100 times overcapacity - which for
many critical applications, is not even a big deal, as crazy as it sounds
(and is) for general applications.

, based on data you see now
it may seem reasonable, but now is only result of minimum viable ddos,
which is trivial to increase should need occur.

I still think evaluation should preferably compare to attacks reported in
reality, with potential additional analysis of projections of potential
attacks.

Similarly DDoS attacks
are excessive dumb often, like dumb UDP ports which are easy drop, but
should we solve protection well for these, it's trivial to make it
proper HTTPS TCP SYN.

hmm, tcp-syn is already a different story (and we have pretty good defenses
against it and many other attacks on the end host). I do work on some of
these attacks (and defenses) too but in this specific case I'm focusing on
bandwidth-DoS attacks (network congestion).  I'm further focusing in this
work on a defense which may involves a transport (end to end) protocol, of
course I'm aware of network-based defenses, it's just not focus of this
work (think of customer with no ability to `fix' the network service).

Backbone device interface can add hundreds of milliseconds during
congestion, but more commonly we're talking about tens of milliseconds
during congestion and low microseconds to high nanoseconds outside
congestion.
Backbone device buffer space is highly googlable, BRCM
trident/tomahawk styte boxes have very little, but they are more
intended for DC/LAN scenarios, than WAN. Nokia FP, Huawei Solar,
EZchip, Cisco nPower, Cisco Silicon One, Juniper Trio, Juniper
Paradise, Broadcom Jericho all will buffer high tens of milliseconds
to low hundreds.

Thanks again, but I'm not looking for data on particular devices; the
latency during congestion attacks may be impacted by multiple devices along
the path. So again my interest is mainly in measured values under real
attacks.

tks! Amir

--
  ++ytti